Many Weybridge residents have told me that they would like the town centre to have a focal point – what better than to pedestrianise the very centre of the town? Give your comments. it is just a very short strip between Baker Street and Churchfields Road but it would make a great difference to the look and feel of Baker Street, Church Street and the High Street. This would bring a whole series of benefits.
- There would be a small piazza for people to relax in the quiet centre of town
- Shopping throughout the town centre would be a more pleasant experience
- Air pollution, which is current at or above legal limits, would be greatly reduced
- More short-term parking would be available
- Baker Street would no longer be a rat-run
- Access to the town centre would be quicker as the through traffic would not be in the way
- Buses would travel through the town centre unimpeded by cars.
- The noise level would be so low that we could hear bird song rather than car engines.
It is likely that far more people could be sat across the new pavement between Cafe One and the Elmbridge Arms. What a pleasant way to have a cup of tea or coffee in the sun.
This project would cost very little. Many projects like this can takes years to put in place in England because of the way our governments are organised. Responsibilities are spread between so many bodies that no-one takes the lead.
What about having a pilot first – just for next summer? A temporary pilot would probably cost less than the consultation exercise required. People would quickly experience the positive and negative aspects of the scheme. Changes could be made as necessary through practical experience. What is your view – take the survey.
Most people would consider that the biggest problem would be what happens to the traffic? Clearly the through traffic will not be able to travel down the High Street. Just like water, traffic always finds new ways through. Surprisingly when changes like this are made a proportion of the traffic simply disappears but we would be wise to anticipate any problems and put in place appropriate mitigation measures.
This is simply a suggestion to set off your creative juices. Another idea – much more expensive is here.