History

Iron age
Hill fort relics in south Weybridge atop St Georges Hill.
675ce
Referred to in a document at ‘Waigebrugge’ – or Bridge over the River Wey. Land owned by Benedictine Order in 666. Chertsey Abbey.
900s
Weybridge situated in the Elmbridge Hundred, one of 13 Anglo-Saxon administrative districts.
1086
Domesday Survey mentioned as ‘Webruge’.
1200s
In document of 1284 it is shown as ‘Waybrugg’. A simple wooden bridge over the Wey was used by monks and pilgrims to Chertsey Abbey, and Weybridge ‘hamlet’ would have comprised a few wooden huts and shelters situated along the present day High Street and Church Street. All local people would have had a smallholding on which to grow vegetables, graze stock, with water from River Wey.
1450
St Nicholas, a small medieval church, survived until 1849 to be replaced by St James. First Rector of Weybridge appointed, and there has been a rector ever since.
1537
Henry VIII starts the building of Oatlands Palace.
1649
The Diggers, followers of Gerard Winstanley, occupied south Weybridge wilderness making the case that land ownership should be based on the tillage of land itself.
1653
The River Wey Navigation opened. It was one of the earliest canals in the country.
1670s
Portmore House purchased by Duke of Norfolk. Later became Dorchester House, after Countess of Dorchester, mistress of James II. House demolished in 1822, and the current Portmore House was in 1930s home of Dr Eric Gardner GP and first Honorary Curator of Weybridge, and later to be Elmbridge Museum.
1790
Duke of York purchased Oatlands House, built in the grounds of Henry VIII’s 1537 Oatlands Palace.
1822
The Duchess of York is commemorated by the monument on Monument Green, and the Dial Stone from this column is situated next to Weybridge Library (and Elmbridge Museum) adjacent to footpath to car park.
1831
Population has reached 930.
1838
Weybridge Railway station opened on 21 May.
1848
As the village’s population increase St James’ Church replaces the smaller St Nicholas, as it had become far too small for the hugely increased population of Weybridge. In churchyard are the chest tombs of the Duchess of York, Frederica Charlotte Ulrica, Bosomworth and Welland. Church designed by JL Pearson who later designed Truro Cathedral. Relics from St Nicholas church survive in St James’.
1851
Population has reached 1,200.
1856
St James Church spire completed.
1865
Victorian Brick and Iron bridge built over River Wey to replace medieval wooden bridge.
1876
The graveyard filled so a new cemetery was created in Brooklands Lane.
1888
St James’ chancel extended.
1890
1st February – Weybridge became the first in England to be wholly lit by electricity – but because overhead lines were not popular, the local authority decided to go over to gas,
1891
Weybridge’s population has reached 3,944.
1890s
Portmore Park Estate and The Quadrant developed by Arthur Cobbett, who died in 1906.
1894
The funeral of the Duke of Paris who was buried in Weybridge at the old Catholic church. There were many mourners from European royalty in attendance. He was the end of the line of the French royal family who tried to claim back the throne.
1895
Weybridge became a town with the creation of the Urban District of Weybridge.  Gas street lighting becomes operative in September.
1900
Population now 5,300. Weybridge Methodist Church begun, designed by Mr. Gunton, architect, and built by Mr. W. Greenfield.
1907
Brooklands racetrack opened.
1933
Weybridge and Walton’s governments merged by Act of Parliament against the wishes of the people.
1937
Hayfield Hall was built on land adjoining the Methodist church, and used as Sunday school and for social functions.
1939
Brooklands racetrack closed due to war and used as Vickers Aircraft Factory.
1974
Walton and Weybridge local government merged with Esher’s to form the Borough of Elmbridge.
1991
Brooklands Museum opened on part of the old Brooklands racetrack.
2006
Brooklands racetrack becomes site of Mercedes Benz World and a local community park.
2012
Olympic cycle race runs through Weybridge.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *